I started working on a McCall’s 5966 “Sew*Crafty” (View C) dress for Baby, er, I mean, Toddler Alice at my American Sewing Guild Neighborhood Group meeting in March. Per my usual modus operandi, I spent more time chatting than actually sewing. But I did somehow manage to get the bodice put together.
Then I started working on the Every Stitch a Prayer project for my older sister and Alice’s dress got put aside.
And then I got my sinus and ear infections and that wiped me out for a good three weeks or so in May. Seriously. I was so grateful that my school year was over. I don’t know how I would have been able to teach. I tried working on Alice’s dress but I kept making mistakes so I did what my body was demanding of me: I rested.
And then my sister, Jill, told me that Alice was having a growth spurt and we panicked about whether the dress would still fit her. When I was feeling well enough to sit at the sewing machine, I finished Alice’s dress and mailed it off to her.
This dress is very easy to put together and it turns out looking like it is much harder to make than it is. The hardest part is gathering the waist. Well, and working with such small pieces (the armhole seems so tiny!).
But, as you can see, despite the fact that Alice’s measurements aligned with Size 2 exactly, the dress is still too big even after her growth spurt. The shoulder shouldn’t be coming 2″ down her arm.
She’ll grow into it but it is still annoying that pattern companies put so much ease into their patterns. Because it was a children’s pattern, I didn’t even think to check the actual pattern measurements against Alice’s measurements before I cut out the fabric. Now I know that I need to do the double-check, even on children’s patterns. The idea that even a toddler’s clothes needs pattern adjustments doesn’t thrill me…at all.
(I can hear my pattern making instructors telling me that it is easier to draft your own pattern than to use a commercial pattern!)
Because the fabric was a lightweight cotton, I used my pinking shears to finish the raw edges.
Next up on the sewing docket:
Now that I’m starting to get my energy back, some clothes for me!